An excellent opportunity has arisen for a hands-on Senior Gardener to join an award-winning, internationally renowned wine-producing brand based in West Sussex. This role will suit an experienced horticulturist with a positive character and experience of providing guidance and support to two Assistant Gardeners. The successful applicant will ensure that the garden is developed and maintained to the highest horticultural standards and that its unique character and excellence is preserved for the benefit of guests and visitors.
The Senior Gardener will report to the Facilities Manager and play a key role in achieving objectives for the estate’s gardens, ponds and non-vineyard grounds including the private gardens of the CEO.
Set within 13-acres of gardens, the formal aspect comprises 6-acres around the manor house. A small cottage garden within the grounds is also to be maintained in addition to the above. Garden features within the estate gardens comprise a kitchen garden, wildflower areas, a cut flower garden, greenhouse, fruit cage, an orchard, cloud-pruned box hedging, topiary, a formal courtyard, a large pond and surrounding woodland. The garden areas of the estate are not managed organically, though chemical use is kept to a minimum. Plans are in place to develop two large areas in addition to a significant spend on new planting.
Applicants will ideally hold an academic horticultural qualification and should have a strong background in private estate gardens and/or horticulturally diverse public gardens. Candidates must be confident in their use of garden machinery and with their plant knowledge, have an ability to work to a high standard at all times and in working to established health and safety standards. Chemical spray certificates (PA1/6) are desirable.
Responsibilities of the successful applicant will include the following:
- Maintenance of all areas to a high standard of horticulture and presentation.
- To carry out the day-to-day care and management of plants, lawns, hedges and tree in all areas under your control.
- General upkeep of all pathways and drives within your area of responsibility.
- To keep the gardens, thoroughfares and highway footpaths clear and free from litter at all times.
- Planting and providing plant care, including of Box and Yew hedging.
- Planning and application of seasonal maintenance to include lawn areas, shrubs, boarders, planters, hedges, trees and weed control.
- Lawn care including mowing, edging, feeding, scarifying, aerating, watering and weeding.
- Maintenance of the vegetable plot, cut flower garden, greenhouse, fruit cage and orchard.
- Responsible to ensure care of the ponds and algae control.
- Maintenance of the compositing bins.
- To carry out gritting, salt spreading, snow clearing, as necessary.
- Day to day maintenance and control of the irrigation system and watering of areas outside the irrigation system as necessary.
- Pest and disease management
- Management of chemicals to correct health and safety standards.
- To lead, develop and train the Assistant Gardeners.
- To ensure particular attention is paid to the preparation of the areas within your control for days when the CEO is in residence or for particular events, keeping disturbance from activities to a minimum during these times.
- Ensuring all garden equipment is correctly maintained and serviced, liaising with the Estate Maintenance department as necessary.
- To ensure all equipment, machinery and buildings under your control are secure, clean and tidy.
- Sourcing good quality but fairly priced materials, plants, trees and machinery.
- Specifying, researching and obtaining tools and machinery necessary for the correct maintenance of areas under your control and receiving approval from the Facilities Manager.
- To be aware of Health and Safety requirements noting that all duties must be carried out to comply with current Health & Safety at Work legislation.
- Liaising with the Facilities Manager regarding labour provision, supervising their work including of day labourers involved in any projects.
- Supervision of and providing access to contractors including those carrying out work on areas under maintenance contract.
- Liaising with the Facilities Manager regarding work to be undertaken by Estate Maintenance team within responsibility area.
- To assist the Facilities Management team, when requested.
- Looking into ways in which to develop the gardens; producing various designs and layouts of garden landscapes for discussion and later implementation.
- Providing regular reports and guidance to CEO and Facilities Manager on such things as maintenance, ideas for improvement of areas.
- To produce monthly work plans for approval from Facilities Manager.
- To assist the Facilities Manager with budgeting for works relating to the area under your responsibility.
Applications are sought from experienced and knowledgeable private estate gardeners who possess good horticultural knowledge and academic horticultural training. The successful applicant will be self-motivated, have excellent communication skills and attention to detail. Good physical fitness and a commitment to the garden are required, as is the ability to work well with a small team; with diplomacy and a constructive approach. A full driving licence and your own transport are required for this role as the estate is located rurally.
SALARY:£28,000 – £33,000 DOE
JOB No: EC21780
If this Senior Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Senior Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Senior Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.
You must sign in to apply for this position.