Part Time Gardener
Job title: Part Time Gardener
Grade: Grade 4 (£17,440 – £18,393) pro-rata per annum
Hours: 28 hours per week 4 days per week (must be flexible, may contain overtime), TTO + 4 weeks.
Contract: 1-year fixed term in the first instance (possibility of permanent)
Villiers High School is looking to appoint a professional, self-motivated, and organised person to assist the Site Manager on all aspects of grounds maintenance. The successful candidate will focus on the maintenance of the school grounds (trees, shrubs, planting and composting etc). The applicant may also have to cover other caretaker duties as and when needed.
The successful candidate is expected to have effective communication and be able to make an immediate start. Good knowledge of gardening, with practical experience is essential. We are offering an exciting opportunity for the right person with a positive can-do attitude. The successful candidate will need to:
- Be resilient, flexible and demonstrate an ability to work in a busy environment
- Be well organised
- Be punctual and have honest communication skills
Main purposes of the job
- To liaise with line manager, providing a quality service
- Assist in the protection of the school’s property assets and support the school’s values as expressed through the appearance of the school grounds premises.
- To ensure that all paths and external areas are clear from debris and maintainedn throughout the year(For example, clear of ice, snow, leaves, weeds/twigs litter etc).
- To help manage the greenhouse (when built) on the school site including plant propagation.
- The safe use of natural pesticides and other treatments in line with COSHH regulations
- To develop new planting with a focus also on perennial borders and shrubberies over the school site.
- Regular maintenance and safe use of the gardening equipment and machinery.
- Grass cutting and lawn care, especially aerating in winter.
- General porterage duties including moving parcels and laundry between the estate.
- Movement of stationery and deliveries and assist with the moving of furniture.
- Some tasks will require work outside normal working hours this will be scheduled and planned.
- Any other reasonable duties considering ability, training, experience and qualifications.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- The appointed Gardener will ideally have a horticultural qualification but hands on extensive practical experience in garden maintenance is as important, including the use of machinery such as strimmer’s, ride-on and pedestrian mowers, hedger cutters and other manual tools secateurs, loppers, pruning saw etc.
- Qualifications in PA1/PA6 (pesticides) and other applicable qualifications would be welcome, and a full driving licence is essential.
- You will need to have excellent plant knowledge, good pruning and plant propagation skills and be somebody who is ambitious with bags of energy and have a genuine passion for plants and gardening.
- Training in Quality Assurance, Health & Safety will be useful.
- Able to work under own initiative, under pressure within structured timescales.
- Have a high-quality approach to work.
- Customer focused, generates new ideas and working practices to exceed client expectations without being prompted.
In return you will receive:
- The support of committed, dedicated and friendly colleagues.
- A school which is reflective and striving for continual improvement.
Deadline for applications is Sunday 26th September 2021. Interview date to be confirmed
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more or want to book a visit, please contact Mr Nirmal Dhanjal on 020 8813 8001 ext. 1387. You can also email HR@villiers.ealing.sch.uk for further details including the job description, person specification and an application form.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
We look forward to hearing from you
You must sign in to apply for this position.