Balcarres Heritage Trust is seeking an experienced and competent Head Gardener to maintain the gardens to a high standard throughout the year, as well as helping to shape the future of the gardens as part of long-term planning. The established gardens extend to 16 acres, comprise formal areas including lawns, mature yew hedging, mixed shrub planting, herbaceous borders, ponds and planted pathways. A heated greenhouse and cold frames are used for propagation. The role also encompasses the care and maintenance of all Balcarres House plants. The Head Gardener is a key position and the person appointed will be responsible for ensuring that all areas are maintained to the highest horticultural standards, in order to preserve its unique character for the benefit of the family and visitors.
- Maintain and develop all areas of the formal gardens, hedging and surrounding grounds.
- Work closely with the family to develop and deliver new projects that will enhance the historical beauty and function of the garden.
- Plan and implement short and long-term maintenance programmes and planting schedules.
- Supervision of the full-time gardener and seasonal volunteers.
- Conduct guided tours of the garden as well as other formal visits to the garden.
- Maintain garden infrastructure and ensure all machinery is serviced and in good condition.
- Ensure health and safety measures are maintained and followed.
- Candidates should have at least 3 years’ experience at senior or head gardener level, within a private estate and/or horticulturally diverse public garden.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent plant knowledge and technical skill through proven academic qualification or experience.
- Excellent communication with the family and Estate team to ensure successful delivery of all planting schemes.
- Strimmer, lawnmower, hedge trimmer and chainsaw experience and or qualification required.
- Chemical spraying certificates would be desirable.
- A full, clean driving licence is essential.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.