We are looking for a full-time live-in gardener/groundsperson who would report directly to the owners.
A great opportunity has arisen for an experienced live-in gardener/groundsperson at Hovingham Hall, North Yorkshire, situated in the Howardian Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The gardens consist of well-kept lawned areas and gravelled pathways, with a cricket ground, reputed to be the oldest continuously played on ground in England, to the forefront of the house, that is still in use by the village cricket team. There are beautifully manicured yew hedges, a tennis court, swimming pool and a beautifully rebuilt conservatory, complete with grapevine. The walled garden has well stocked flower borders together with a vegetable garden. The house is open to the public, by appointment, and the gardens are an integral part of the visitors’ experience.
Duties to include:
- Grass cutting and lawn maintenance
- Maintenance of mixed herbaceous borders and flower beds
- Planting, care of and provision of vegetables for the kitchen
- Garden machinery maintenance, arranging servicing and repairs
- Pruning of fruit trees and large shrubs
- Mature yew hedge cutting
- Maintenance of gravelled areas and courtyards
- Autumn tidy up, clearing up leaves
- Caretaking duties also required for the Hall, including looking after the cars.
- House security (on call weekends/keyholder), this responsibility is shared with other Estate staff.
Basic Skills Required
- Essential: Full Clean Driving license
- Essential: Associated Machinery Operation e.g. tractors & mowers
- Essential: PA1 & PA6 Certificates – use of pesticides
- Desirable: Chainsaw maintenance & crosscutting licence
- Desirable: RHS Level 2/3
We are looking for someone with good organisational skills, who can work independently and as part of a team.
Salary £24,000 to £26,000 per annum.
The live-in accommodation is a large first floor flat adjoining Hovingham Hall with large kitchen/dining room, two large double bedrooms and a family bathroom. There is a separate small garden, a shed/workshop and ample car parking.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
You must sign in to apply for this position.