A self-motivated, enthusiastic and driven gardener is sought after on a full time and permanent basis for a beautiful garden designed by Tom Stuart Smith in Oxford.
The 25 – 30 acre garden is part of a shooting estate and consists of a walled garden, kitchen garden, rose garden, greenhouse for propagation work, extensive lawns both for ride on and fine mowing, topiary, hedges, herbaceous and mixed borders, shrubs and a variety of young and mature trees.
We have a vacancy for a gardener, including grounds work, at a private country house near Oxford. We are seeking someone who can work well as part of a small but highly dedicated team, has exceptional attention to detail and a willingness to learn and adapt on a continuing basis. This position would be perfect for a dynamic and enthusiastic individual who has some experience but is now looking to have more autonomy and wants to improve their knowledge and skills over a wide range of horticultural and grounds care work.
The overall maintenance of the garden and grounds, working alongside the Head Gardener and Senior Gardener. The key tasks will be garden project work, mowing, strimming, hedge cutting and seasonal work. Ability to muck in and help on adhoc jobs is a must.
The ideal candidate must be a dynamic and enthusiastic individual with a passion for gardening and horticulture as well as having a good understanding of what is required to work in a high-end garden.
The individual must have an ability to work under their own initiative as well as working closely with the existing team.
- General gardening experience including knowledge of mowing fine lawns.
- Familiarity with agricultural equipment from small tractors to mini diggers an advantage but not essential – training will be given if needed.
- Knowledge and experience of using rotary, cylinder and ride on mowers
- Strimming and brush cutting
- Interest in horticulture a must and a desire to further and broaden your experience.
Qualifications and experience
- Garden/Horticultural qualification desirable but not essential
- High work and personal standards
- Good time keeping
- Team work ethic
- Prepared to work flexible hours when required
Location and Travel Time
This post does not include accommodation and applicants should ideally live within a 30-minute travel time radius of Headington, or be able to demonstrate how they will easily commute to and from the Estate.
Holiday and Salary
28 days holiday inclusive of bank and other public holidays
Salary circa £25,000 dependent upon experience and qualifications