An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced gardener to join the small team on a historic estate near Tetbury in the Cotswolds. This role would suit an estate gardener with experience in lawn care and garden machinery operation, with an ability to undertake general estate maintenance tasks where necessary.
This stunning Grade 2 listed property includes a 9-acre garden comprising expansive formal lawns, box and yew hedges, topiary, herbaceous borders, an organic kitchen garden, cutting flowers, a glasshouse and garden water features. The owners have worked with renowned garden designer Tom Stuart-Smith to rejuvenate garden, which includes a large walled garden and ornamental glasshouse.
Applicants for this vacancy should have demonstrable gardening experience and will ideally hold a recognised horticultural qualification. Experience in organic gardening and plant pest/disease control would also be an advantage as the garden is largely run organically. The successful candidate will primarily undertake lawn care duties and general garden maintenance work but will have the opportunity to be involved with the additional above garden features and areas. The position is an excellent opportunity to work under a knowledgeable Head Gardener within a small team on a hands-on, full-time basis.
Typical duties will include maintenance and further development of the gardens and outdoor areas, summarised as follows:
- General garden maintenance and management of all plantings.
- Weed control of the whole site; note that this will need to be by organic means whenever possible.
- All supporting wires and stakes should be regularly checked to maintain plant support and removed when deemed unnecessary
- Maintenance of amenity lawns and wildflower meadows (approximately 3-days per week)
- Seasonal bulb planting as required
- Maintenance of all drives, paths, terraces and tracks
- Assisting with the management of irrigation system
- Maintenance of garden features, e.g. water features, sculpture, seating, general maintenance of features and minor repairs when necessary.
- Checking drains
- The maintenance of equipment; keeping machinery in good working condition and undertaking any minor repairs.
- Plant pest and disease control; almost always by organic methods will be required
- Manage composting of waste on site
- Organic vegetable production
- Care for the chickens
- Provide cut flowers, fruit and vegetables for the house and sometimes to take away for the London property.
Applicants for this role should have experience in each of the above areas and must be willing to learn new aspects of the garden as they arise. Standard working hours are Monday to Friday, with 40-hours/week being expected, however some flexibility may be required at times to reflect seasonal demands. The position is offered with 28-days holiday per annum (including Bank Holidays).
If required, accommodation will be provided, and council tax will be covered by the employer. The additional salary paid will reflect the candidate’s preference to live in or out, with a higher salary paid (reflective of experience) if accommodation is not required.
SALARY: £20,000 – £28,000 Live in/out
LOCATION: Tetbury, Gloucestershire
JOB No: EC3108
If this Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.
You must sign in to apply for this position.