The gardens of Lowther Castle are unique, with a range of surviving garden layouts dating back to the early 17th century. The restoration project aims to unearth the hidden gardens, which have been overtaken by 70 years of debris and decay, in a way that respects the rich history and layouts of the original 17th century garden. The key aim of the project is to preserve and protect this original layout and historic features whilst developing some areas of the gardens with a modern touch in line with Dan Pearson’s ambitious garden master plan. Our intention is to create a world class garden visitor attraction.
Period of Contract: Permanent subject to 3 month probationary period
Responsible to: Head Gardener and Senior Gardeners
Based at: Lowther Castle and Gardens, Penrith, Cumbria, CA10 2HH
Hours of work: Full-time: 40 hours per week. Normal working days are Monday to Friday but job-holder will be expected to work some weekends as part of the garden team rota and occasional evenings. Annual leave allowance of 28 days, including bank holidays.
|To assist in the provision of efficient, high quality horticulture, skilled restoration and maintenance of the 130 acre garden and grounds at Lowther Castle, as directed by the Head Gardener according to a programme of works developed from the garden master plan.|
- The job holder will work as part of the garden team to deliver the following.
- Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation and planting.
- Lawn and verges maintenance and cultivation.
- Assisting with up keep of woodlands, thinning, clearing of fallen/wind-blown trees using forestry machinery and replanting
- Laying out, preparing, constructing and planting new gardens, following given designs.
- Basic hard landscaping tasks such as path construction and repairs to steps.
- Use of machinery, such as lawn mowing equipment and leaf blowers.
- Cleaning, maintaining and repairing tools and equipment.
- Gritting and snow clearing as necessary within gardens and car park area.
- Giving instruction and encouragement to a team of volunteers with a range of different abilities and experience.
- Treating members of the public with courtesy, answering questions and encouraging their interest in the castle and gardens.
- Understanding and encouraging, where possible and appropriate, wildlife diversity within the gardens.
- Keeping mess room, tool sheds and workshop safe, clean and tidy.
- Carrying out any other duties requested by the Head Gardener. From time to time this will include working with the larger visitor attraction team to deliver events, such as Halloween.
In order to carry out these duties, the job holder will need to develop:
- A working knowledge and broad familiarity with the plants found within the gardens.
- An understanding of the garden’s history and of the plans for future developments in the gardens.
|Proven ability and competencies||
|Other skills and abilities||
|Qualifications, training and Knowledge.||
As an employee of Lowther Castle and Gardens you will:
- Have a positive can-do attitude with flexibility and adaptability
- Be highly motivated, ready, willing and available to get the task done and done well
- Act professional no matter what your job role is
- If you have any concerns, always raise them with and through your line manager and never with other colleagues
- Treat your colleagues with respect and in the way that you would like to be treated being pleasant, courteous and friendly
- Work as a team, working co-operatively with your colleagues and managers to achieve Lowther Castle and Gardens vision/objectives
- Be well organised demonstrated by consistently meet deadlines
- Know what is expected of you and gladly take responsibility for doing your job to the best of your ability paying attention to detail
- Understand that you need to make the right choices. Be accountable, own up to mistakes to allow time to make corrections.
- Have good attendance and punctuality
To apply for this position please email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Closing Date for applications: Friday 29th November 2019
If you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date for applications, you should assume that your application has not been successful.