Sole Gardener required
A new opportunity has arisen on a large private estate located close to Inverness in Scotland. The position is offered with a generous salary and accommodation and will suit a knowledgeable, energetic, physically fit and driven gardener with experience of managing a garden on their own. Applicants must have a desire to be part of a young estate team, to make their mark on a horticulturally diverse property and to maintain very high standards of horticulture at all times.
Based just 20 minutes’ drive from Inverness, this stunning privately owned estate features a partridge and pheasant shoot as well as a traditional diverse formal garden surrounded by woodland and located within easy reach of several Lochs, including Loch Ness. The family travel extensively and divide their time between their other homes in Shropshire and West Scotland.
The two-acre formal gardens include formal lawns, herbaceous borders, a walled kitchen garden, a large greenhouse, polytunnel, tennis court and dell. A nearby holiday let has a comparatively smaller and more basic garden, which will fall under the responsibility of the Sole Gardener in terms of general maintenance. Applicants must be comfortable around dogs as several reside on site, with one cat.
Outline of Key Responsibilities:
- To maintain gardens and grounds to a high standard throughout the year.
- Produce vegetables, fruit and cut flowers for the household.
- Propagate plants for border planting and pot displays.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and small tasks as specified by the Principals.
- To coordinate and supervise any contractors whilst working in the property grounds.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills:
- Strong plant knowledge and horticultural skills.
- Excellent timekeeping, flexibility and attention to detail.
- Must work well as part of a team and be able to liaise well with other estate staff and others on the estate.
- Ability to work unsupervised and on own initiative.
- Excellent level of health and fitness and a positive disposition.
- Take pride in their work.
- Discretion at all times and a respectful attitude towards the Principals and their property.
- A Full, clean driving licence.
- Candidates should also be experienced in using and maintaining a range of garden machinery.
Hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 08:00 – 17:00, with flexibility required as determined by weather conditions. Some evening and weekend work will be required, including harvesting of fruit and vegetables, summer watering and similar season-dependent tasks.
This role is offered with a 2–3 bedroom detached cottage (unfurnished) with its own garden and driveway. Council Tax is included, with the utility bills being the responsibility of the Sole Gardener.
LOCATION: Inverness, Scotland
SALARY: £25,000 – £30,000 DOE
JOB No: EC24209
If this Sole Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Mark Read on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Sole Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Sole Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.