An excellent opportunity for an experienced Sole Gardener has arisen on a beautiful private estate in north Shropshire. This position will suit a qualified/skilled, physically fit, and enthusiastic gardener in search of a rewarding role in which to make their mark.
The two-acre formal garden is situated with a large estate which includes a working farm and hosts partridge/pheasant shoots. The estate forms part of three family-owned estates, with the family dividing their time between Shropshire and the North and West of Scotland. The garden was formed over 10 years ago and contains formal lawns, large herbaceous borders, a rose garden, productive walled kitchen garden, a reflective pool, small woodland garden, an orchard, and tennis court. Mature trees provide a structural backdrop to the property, while new tree plantings have been maturing over the past 10 years.
Key responsibilities of the Sole Gardener will be to:
- Maintain the gardens and grounds to a consistently high standard all year round.
- Produce vegetables, fruit, and cut flowers for the household.
- Propagate plants for border planting and pot displays
- Maintain water features
- Carry out other reasonable associated duties as directed by the Principles
- Supervise and coordinate contractors working in the property grounds
- Prepare, stock, and set fires in the family home and shooting lodge
- Be happy to feed two ex-racehorses on winter mornings
- Support estate activities where necessary
Applicants must possess the following:
- Good plant knowledge and a high level of horticultural craft skills
- Excellent time keeping, flexible in approach, attention to detail and take pride their work
- Able to work well in a team and liaise with other estate staff
- Capable of working unsupervised and on own initiative
- Excellent health and level of fitness, with a positive disposition
- Full clean driving licence
- Experienced in using and maintain a wide range of garden machinery.
- An academic horticultural qualification at RHS Level 3 or above is desired, though applicants with extensive and demonstrable experience will always be considered.
Working hours are normally Monday to Friday 08:00 – 17:00, however, applicants will be required to work evenings and weekends when required for the purposes of harvesting produce, watering duties, etc. as the seasons dictate.
Accommodation is offered with this role in addition to a generous salary by way of a two-bedroom semi-detached, unfurnished cottage with a small garden. Candidates currently living within a reasonable commute of the estate are welcome to apply on a live-out basis if accommodation is not required.
SALARY: £30,000 – £35,000 DOE
LOCATION: North Shropshire
JOB No: EC28217
If this Sole Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Sara Yassin on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Sole Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Sole Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.