Skilled Gardener Vacancy
We are looking for an enthusiastic, qualified gardener to join a tight knit Estate team to help with the daily management of 8 acres of organic gardens. This beautiful estate near Box offers a great opportunity for a skilled gardener to help deliver high quality horticulture.
This is a chance to work in an impressive fortified garden that surrounds, in part, the Manor house. With your help and skill we wish to continually develop and improve the gardens to a high standard throughout the year. Edwardian in manner, the grounds were extensively developed in the 1980s and at its heart, developed into a stunning topiary garden. There is evidence of gardens and orchards dating back to the 1620s, with much of that 17C footprint remaining today. You will help, through your drive and attention to detail, to expand all aspects of the garden including the fruit and vegetable growing, as well as the continued development of the flower borders.
You will work as part of a team play assisting the Head Gardener in the maintenance and upkeep of all aspects of the garden. This will include extensive ornamental plant management, lawn, topiary and hedge care, plant propagation, glasshouse work and kitchen gardening. As a senior member of the team, you will work by example, aiming for the highest possible standard and demonstrate good leadership skills when required.
We seek a capable individual who is able to demonstrate the following key attributes:
- A comprehensive plant knowledge and familiarity with most gardening practices, ideally backed up with a formal horticultural qualification.
- Basic knowledge of growing and harvesting fruit, vegetables and herbs.
- You will show sympathy to the garden tools and equipment and have an understanding of basic maintenance on all handheld, pedestrian and ride-on machinery as well as an ability to complete routine pre-start checks.
- You will be a team player, conscientious, friendly, articulate, self-motivated and have a willingness to ‘go the extra mile’ in order to achieve a high standard of work.
- You will be organised and methodical yet flexible in your approach to work, have an eye for detail and an ability to work using your own initiative.
- You should be familiar with the safe use of equipment and have a clear and good understanding of Health & Safety legislation including the preparation of risk assessments.
- You will hold a valid driving Licence.
- An understanding of biodynamic horticulture would be an advantage although this is not essential.
- A competitive salary package ranging from £24,000 to £30,000p.a. DOE plus pension
- Starting ASAP.
- Working hours are 7.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday plus occasional weekend glasshouse duties on a rota.
- Holiday entitlement will be 20 days per annum plus bank holidays
- Accommodation is not provided.
How to Apply:
Applications should be submitted with a covering letter to the agent, Ben Myerscough at email@example.com.
You must sign in to apply for this position.