Skilled Gardener – Competitive Salary (DOE) plus Accommodation
A Private Estate in Preston Candover (near Basingstoke) are looking for a skilled all-rounder and enthusiastic Gardener to join their small team to help develop and maintain much loved and beautiful private gardens of 8 acres, which includes a productive kitchen garden, as well as assist in plant propagation and garden development.
The gardens contain a very wide horticultural range including woodland and water, perennial borders, bulbs, topiary and hedges, shrubs and a lovely collection of trees. The gardens have strong design elements and planting details which you will help to further refine and refresh. There is a productive Kitchen Garden with frames and a large glasshouse which supports further production and a range of house plants.
This role will work closely with the other 3 full time Gardeners and support the Head Gardener in all aspects of the garden’s maintenance and presentation.
Working hours: Full time (39 hours/week) Monday to Friday (but 4 days/week will be considered for the right applicant). Weekend cover and watering duties in summer on a rota.
Contract: Ideally Employed but Freelance will be considered with pay rate to reflect this.
Accommodation: A 2 bed house (on site) is available for employees (from January 24) with rent of £25/month. Council tax is paid by the employer with utilities the responsibility of the employee. Partners and dependants are welcome and pets will be considered.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Strong all-round experience working in a similar role.
- Good horticultural knowledge including plant husbandry, propagation and care and working in a greenhouse.
- RHS Level 2 (or similar) or proven experience at this level.
- Experience of growing vegetables, salads and fruit (kitchen garden).
- Experience of broad ranging garden maintenance – variety of garden beds and borders.
- The physical fitness and ability to perform general gardening tasks all day and are happy to work outside in all weathers.
- An existing right to work in the UK and be able to understand English and communicate clearly in English.
- The ability to start in early January 2024 (although an immediate start is possible too).
- Your own reliable transport to get to work if you do not wish to live on site.
If you live on site or nearby you will be asked to cover watering and greenhouse duties on a rota basis with others in the team – usually a few hours over one weekend a month.
In return we offer:
- A competitive salary (DOE)
- 24 days holiday a year (plus Bank Holidays) – pro rata for part time
- Support for Training and Development.
- 2 weeks Company Sick Pay (after Probation) and support with private medical treatment if it is needed.
- Accommodation in a beautiful village with good schools nearby
- A beautiful place to work and a supportive team and principal.
- An immediate start is available if desired.
To Apply: please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly showing:
- your skills and experience
- your salary expectations
- whether you are interested in accommodation as part of the package (or not)
- when you’d be available to start
Two professional references will be taken up prior to a start and a paid trial day may be required.
Deadline for applications: 19th November – but we may interview and offer trial days to promising applicants as they come in so please do not delay applying!
If you would like to discuss the role before applying please call Natalie on 07802 626128.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
For more gardener roles please click here