Skilled Gardener required
Following the completion of a major redesign and landscaping of the garden by Arne Maynard, the owners are looking for a knowledgeable, enthusiastic and hands-on gardener to help grow and continue to develop their 3-acre garden based near Heathfield, East Sussex. The successful candidate should also have an eye for floristry as the owners enjoy growing, cutting and using flowers and plants from the garden inside the house.
The stunning Grade II listed property dates back to the late 13th century with 18th and 19th century additions. The gardens are currently kept private, but the owners are considering opening through the NGS. The gardens consist of ancient pasture to the front of the house culminating in a circular driveway with a large central lawn. This space will be changed to into an intricate garden to create a distinct area. The west facing garden has mature trees, shrubs and topiary at various levels and is bordered by pleached hornbeams separating it from the rear garden. Beyond the shrubs, a secret garden will be created. The South-facing Garden benefits from a large lawn, pond, wildflower meadow and a paved terrace adjacent to the house, an elegant south-facing brick wall supports a flower border, there are also a summer house and a greenhouse. A small stream with deep protective banks runs down one side of the garden and there is an orchard to the rear accessed by bridges, this stocks apples, plums, mulberry, pears, a walnut and ornamental tree.
Applicants must have excellent attention to detail and a positive, enthusiastic attitude towards their work. The successful candidate with ideally hold a horticultural qualification and have about 3 years’ experience working on a private estate garden. The gardener will work closely with the owners and must be able to communicate effectively. The gardens are mainly organic; however, sprays are occasionally used for pathways etc. therefore a spray certificate would be an advantage as well as a chainsaw certificate but not essential. A driving licence is required.
Typical garden management duties in relation to the garden will include:
- Ongoing maintenance of, and potentially additional planting, in the existing areas of the garden including the development of areas of Rhododendrons in the woodland.
- Annual planting and management of existing cutting beds and pot displays and management of existing fruit orchard.
- Creating, and working with the client, in developing flower displays within the house using plants from the garden.
- Taking over ongoing management of plantings and maintenance for the garden.
- Supporting the successful establishment of new trees and topiary including, where necessary, developing new topiarised shapes amongst other mature specimens.
- General maintenance of hedges, lawns and wildflower areas including supervision of others, where this makes sense, in the cutting of large areas of hedging.
SALARY: Up to £30,000 DOE
LOCATION: Near Heathfield, East Sussex
JOB No: EC61219
If this Skilled Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Sara Yassin on 01233 733510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Skilled Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Skilled Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.