Skilled Senior/ Head Gardener for compact and varied Family Estate in the West Country, on the edge of the Quantock Hills.
Full Time (40hrs pw) Starting salary package up to £30k pa +attractive newly refurbished 2 bed cottage with garden.
Experienced, pro-active Senior/ Head Gardener required with appropriate horticultural qualifications, good plant knowledge and hands on flair for managing and presenting this 9.0 acre private garden in its very best light. Strong management and organizational skills will be required.
The gardens comprise formal lawns and borders, walled vegetable and cut flower garden, vines, mature orchard, parkland, paddocks, wooded areas, specimen trees and established ponds. There is also a substantial new glasshouse by Alitex with both temperate and tropical zones stocked with some interesting and unusual specimen plants. The gardens have undergone a significant investment programme in recent years, and a number of further projects are planned. The family prefer to minimize the use of chemical intervention where possible.
Key Skills, Responsibilities and Attributes
- Create a great environment to build and develop your team, currently comprising full time junior maintenance gardener with budget for an additional full time member of the team.
- Devise, plan and deliver agreed planting and maintenance programme with owners whilst being fully accountable for efficient management of resources to deliver plan.
- Significant practical horticultural experience supported by appropriate qualifications.
- Knowledge of range of horticultural techniques covering wide range of plant types and trees including fruit trees. An appetite for detailed work in formal areas is important
- Qualified NPTC for tractor, trailer, loader, chainsaw qualification helpful.
- Have a practical knowledge of garden machinery operation and maintenance including qualifications for using sprayers.
- Work collaboratively with family and rest of team including fulltime Housekeeper and maintenance team
- Build effective networks with local suppliers and other specialist contractors.
- A clean current driving license and car.
Work of a non horticultural nature may occasionally be required to support other members of the team and owners, including acting as an emergency key holder. Weekend cover will be required in absence of family. Must like dogs and other animals.
If you are interested in this position please email your CV with a covering letter setting out the reasons for your interest in this position.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
You must sign in to apply for this position.