Head Gardener required
We seek suitably experienced candidates for a number of positions that have become available within these magnificent gardens which are considered to be one of the finest in Britain. The gardens extend to several hundred acres and contain a variety of formal areas including a Japanese and Italian garden, as well as wildlife gardens, woodland and lakes. The gardens are a major public attraction and are maintained to extremely high standards throughout the year.
Head Gardener/Gardens Manager, Job Ref EC29076
The person appointed will be responsible for managing a team of 10 – 12 gardeners including trainees/ volunteers, ensuring that the gardens are maintained to the exacting standards required. As part of the estate management team, you will also assist in planning the future development of the gardens. Other key responsibilities will include:
- Recruiting, and training new members of the garden team.
- Devise and manage a budget.
- Organise duty rosters, as well as planning and implementing the seasonal work requirements.
- Manage the implementation of new projects.
- Ensuring that all operations are carried out in a safe and efficient manor within agreed budgets.
Candidates must be suitably qualified and highly skilled in all aspects of horticulture with excellent plant, flora and fauna knowledge, together with an outstanding eye for detail. Excellent organisational, communication and management skills are also essential. He/she should be hard working, able to work under their own initiative, always acting in confident and professional manner.
You will be required to undergo a basic DBS check.
Gardens Supervisor, Job Ref EC29077
The person appointed will part of the gardens team, supervising 2 – 3 and will play a key role in ensuring that the grounds and gardens are maintained to a high standard throughout the year.
Other key duties will include:
- Support the line management in the supervision of staff and volunteers within the gardens team, and associated teams supporting the garden works.
- Provide leadership of the gardening sub teams as required.
- Co-ordinate and work closely with other supervisors within the garden and estate teams.
- Take responsibility for whole garden as Weekend Duty team member on a rota basis.
- Ensure safe working practices at all times.
Candidates should have good practical gardening skills together with previous supervisory experience. Good plant knowledge is also important covering a broad breadth of knowledge of herbaceous perennials, grasses, bedding and woody perennials. He/she should be familiar with the safe use and general maintenance of garden machinery and be qualified to drive a tractor. Other requirements include a PA1/6 sprayers certificate, plus a relevant horticultural qualification.
Gardens Team Member, Job Ref EC29078
The person appointed will be a member of the gardens team responsible for ensuring that the gardens are maintained to a high standard throughout the year. This will include:
- Ensuring the effective maintenance and presentation of all the horticultural features and supporting infrastructure within the garden.
- Working, as required, flexible hours to meet the demands of seasonal activities, this will include additional hours outside normal working hours as well as some weekend working.
- Provide support as required for Garden events.
We seek candidates who have good practical gardening skills and are familiar with the safe use of garden machinery including – mowers, strimmer’s, etc.
He/she must be able to work alone or as a member of a team.
A suitable horticultural qualification is desirable.
If this Head Gardener vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Sara Yassin on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Head Gardener vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Head Gardener vacancy will have been unsuccessful.