Head Gardener required
(Might Suit Gardening Couple)
As a result of an unexpected change in personal circumstances with the current post holder an opportunity has arisen for a Skilled Head Gardener for compact and varied Family Estate in the West Country, on the edge of the Quantock Hills.
Starting salary package £32k pa +attractive newly refurbished 2 bed cottage with its own private garden. The owner is looking for a full time Head Gardener with a 40 hour working week, Monday to Friday, with some weekend work for watering and animal care purposes, depending on the season. Paid holiday comprises 28 days a year, inclusive of Bank holidays.
Might also suit a gardening couple and for the second Gardener, the client is looking for someone to assist the Head Gardener on a part time basis, 3 -4 days per week (equivalent).
Attractive accommodation is on offer to the successful candidate(s) in the form of a 2-bedroom cottage with council tax covered by the owners. Partners and dependents are welcome and pets within reason. As this is a family home all members of the estate work closely together to create a friendly positive atmosphere
The gardens comprise formal lawns and borders, walled vegetable and cut flower garden, vines, mature orchard, parkland, paddocks, wooded areas, specimen trees and established ponds. There is also a substantial new glasshouse by Alitex with both temperate and tropical zones stocked with some interesting and unusual specimen plants. The gardens have undergone a significant investment programme in recent years, and a number of further projects are planned. The family prefer to minimize the use of chemical intervention where possible.
Key Skills, Responsibilities and Attributes
Experienced, pro-active Head Gardener required with appropriate horticultural qualifications, good plant knowledge and hands on flair for managing and presenting this 9.0 acre private garden in its very best light. Strong management and organizational skills will be required.
- This role would suit a practical problem solver with high energy and a confident enthusiastic personality who actively seeks and will enjoy engagement with the family.
- Create a great environment to build and develop your team, currently comprising full time gardener with budget for an additional full/part time member of the team, (see above)
- Devise, plan and deliver agreed planting and maintenance programme with owners whilst taking full accountability for efficient management of resources to deliver plan.
- Significant practical horticultural experience supported by appropriate qualifications. Knowledge of range of horticultural techniques covering wide range of plant types and trees including fruit trees. An appetite for detailed work in formal areas is important Qualified NPTC for tractor, trailer, loader, chainsaw qualification helpful. Have a practical knowledge of garden machinery operation and maintenance including qualifications for using sprayers.
- Work collaboratively with family and rest of team including fulltime Housekeeper and maintenance team
- Build effective networks with local suppliers and other specialist contractors.
- A clean current driving license and car.
If you are interested in this position please email your CV with a covering letter setting out the reasons for your interest in this position. Closing date for applications will be 24 November. Initial interviews will take place with the current Head Gardener on site.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
For more gardener roles please click here