Head Gardener required.
An exciting opportunity has become available for an ambitious and skilled gardener and plantsperson to be involved with the continuing development of a large garden set in 300 acres of walled parkland and part of a historic 2500 acre farming estate in East Cambridgeshire. You will join a small, dedicated, friendly team working in the garden, kitchen gardens and house. The gardens are RHS Partner Gardens and open to the public 4 months year. We also hold weddings in the gardens and marquee set on the lake through spring and summer.
The successful candidate will be creative and proactive with enthusiasm for ongoing and future projects, enjoy working hard, and have a strong Horticulture background – ideally with relevant qualifications; spray tickets (PA1/PA6) and a chainsaw licence would be beneficial, as is experience with a wide range of gardening machinery including compact tractors. Candidates should be willing and able to undertake the additional caretaking duties when required.
- With your well-established gardening proficiency oversee the upkeep of perennial borders
- essential tasks like topiary and rose/climber/hedge pruning, tree pruning, and irrigation.
- Uphold our high aesthetic and health standards for the diverse plant life that graces the estate.
- Contribute your insight to the planning and execution of landscape enhancement projects that elevate the garden/estate’s allure.
- Care of animals on the estate – pigs, hens
- Plant research, design and planning
- General gardening duties
- General estate duties as needed
- Understanding of Health and Safety
- Full driving licence
- Hours: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week, with very occasional need for outside of work hours.
Accommodation can be provided with this role and bills payable by the occupants. Negotiable with salary
- LOCATION: East Cambridgeshire
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 6 Months
NOTICE PERIOD: 3 months
Holiday – 20 days plus B/H
This Head Gardener private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
For more gardener roles please click here