Grounds and Gardens Manager
An exciting role for a Grounds and Gardens Manager has arisen to join a community-guided organisation, with an ambitious and exciting vision, in West London.
The 23-acre estate is home to more than three acres of public green space, about 120 tenants including more than 20 charities and non-profit organisations, two sports and fitness facilities, 48 light industrial units, 34 offices, 32 retail units, a children’s play-centre, amateur boxing club, community facilities, markets and a skate park. Our client is dedicated to the social, environmental and economic wellbeing of this vibrant community. They work with over 60 member organisations ranging from community groups and residents’ associations to schools and sports clubs, as well as other local groups and people.
As Grounds and Gardens Manager, you will be responsible for managing, developing and improving all grounds and hard and soft landscaping on the estate. The list below outlines the principal duties and tasks related to this role. This is not intended to cover every responsibility since, by the nature of the role, the Grounds and Gardens Manager will be expected to take ownership of the areas of accountability below and to develop it in line with our client’s needs.
- Provide strong management, leadership, supervision, training and instruction for the grounds and gardens team.
- Formulate, implement and routinely review a planned programme of works.
- Direct the grounds and gardens team to maintain, develop and improve all grounds and soft and hard landscaped areas.
- Manage all reactive, unplanned work across the Trust’s grounds and gardens and oversee the team to undertake maintenance tasks as and when required.
- Work as part of the grounds and gardens team in a “hands on” capacity to ensure the maintenance, upkeep and continuous improvement of the Trust’s grounds and gardens.
- Ensure a high standard of site presentation across the Trust land with regards to litter, graffiti and fly tipping.
- Utilise the expertise of the gardeners within the team and external specialist advisors to ensure an interesting variety of plants, shrubs and trees in all soft landscape areas, in keeping with the Trust’s biodiversity management strategy.
- Supervise and support the community gardener on the delivery of volunteer and community projects, both on the estate and in conjunction with local partners
- Work with FM manager to produce relevant budgets and then forecast, monitor and control these.
- Be responsible for the maintenance and safe use of gardening machinery, including the training records of the Grounds & Gardens team.
- Keep, and provide as necessary, a full inventory of all grounds and gardens plant, equipment, tools, machinery and unused plants, shrubs and tree stocks.
- Supervise and/or monitor contractors or sub-contractors working on all grounds and hard and soft landscaped areas on Trust land, whether employed directly by the Trust or not.
- Demonstrate a customer-focused and courteous approach to local residents and members of the general public using any of the Trust green spaces.
- Where required, inform members of the public using Portobello Green and Trust land of the rules governing its use and move on users who choose not to observe them.
- Ensure all relevant Health and Safety standards are adhered to, and that training is given to the Grounds & Gardens Team.
- Write and review all relevant risk assessments as required.
- Produce a method statement for each new job to be carried out by the grounds and gardens team and ensure that team members adhere to these when carrying out works.
- Ensure that all Health and Safety documentation is stored appropriately and easily accessible at all times.
- Work with external partners & contractors to develop and execute gardening projects which will enhance the reputation and core values of the Trust, as agreed by the Trust Executive.
- Work positively in accordance with the Trust’s Equal Opportunities Policy and Environmental Policy.
- Carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required.
Applicants will either have a recognised Level 3 Work Based Diploma in Horticultural or equivalent with at least 3 years post qualification experience or equivalent working experience. Experience of managing a team in a gardening/horticultural position with excellent communication and organisational skills as successful applicant will need to allocate team members to different jobs in various locations within the grounds. Experience of developing a Horticultural Management Plan for the future of the green spaces.
LOCATION: West London
JOB No: EC39406
If this Grounds and Gardens Manager vacancy is of interest, please apply or contact Sara Yassin on 01233 733510 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in this Grounds and Gardens Manager vacancy. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, it is not possible to respond to every one. Therefore, unless you hear from us within the next 14 days, your application for this Grounds and Gardens Manager vacancy will have been unsuccessful.