We are looking for a gardener to join our team, working to maintain and help develop the eight acres of newly cultivated garden and 90 acre wider private estate near Callander, Stirlingshire. The current gardeners have been in post for two years and we are now at the point of expanding the team.
It’s an exciting time to join us; currently a new 1.5 acre walled garden is being built, including a 30m productive and ornamental glasshouse. Along with the rest of the garden, which has been developed over the past five years under the direction of garden designer Tracy McQue, there will be plenty to get stuck in with. This will include planting up new areas of the garden, maintaining the diverse areas of the garden and helping with occasional tasks on the wider estate.
You will be working under the Head Gardener in a team of five. The garden is not traditional and is designed to complement the surrounding landscape, planting in large swathes, meadows and rewilded areas. No striped lawns or staked Delphiniums here; we’re looking for people with a modern outlook to horticulture who can contribute to making this unique site a beautiful space. Tasks will vary greatly across the year, including but not limited to: weeding, planting, hedge cutting, pruning, glasshouse work, mulching, mowing, strimming, helping in the kitchen garden, propagation and nursery work, meadow maintenance, tree work, leaf blowing, pressure washing and more as the garden continues to expand.
We also look after the family’s garden in another property in Edinburgh one day a week, which everyone will be involved with (fuel paid). This is a lovely garden set over approximately an acre, with ornamental trees, two lawns, woodland and herbaceous planting connected with grass paths. Although more mature than the main estate, this space is going through a programme of renovation and replanting which you will be involved in. We also take care of planted containers around the house, climbers and wall-trained trees.
The local area is a great place to live; a well serviced town with excellent transport links to Stirling, Edinburgh and Glasgow whilst still having a friendly, small town feel. There are excellent opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking and kayaking in the local area and also a great base for exploring the Highlands further to the north.
- Horticultural knowledge equivalent to a RHS level 2 standard.
- A minimum of two years, full-time employment in public or private gardens.
- Proficient in the safe use and basic maintenance of a wide range of horticultural tools, machinery and vehicles.
- A team player with an adaptable attitude and willingness to work in all areas of the garden: Kitchen Garden; Ornamental; Woodland and Estate.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Due to the location of the site a full driving licence is required.
- Personable and discreet, respectful of the fact that this is a family home.
- An understanding and willingness to work through the challenges of the Scottish climate.
- Chainsaw certification and experience.
- Additional skills such as hard landscaping/ joinery / fencing etc would be considered advantageous.
- Previous experience working in young, evolving gardens, renovation projects, newly planted areas.
- Experience of looking after chickens or bees.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
For more gardener roles please click here