Please apply with a CV and covering letter
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic Gardener to join the Gardens team at Garden of England Crematorium, working to maintain formal and informal lawns, beds and borders, woodland, water features and garden furniture. The role includes car park duties, directing visitors and being outdoors most of the time in all weathers.
Key Accountabilities and Outputs:
- Carry out all gardening duties necessary to maintain and upkeep the Crematorium’s gardens including grass cutting, strimming, hedge cutting, removing weeds and planting.
- Maintain an awareness of the location, types and allotment of garden memorials. Liaise with the Admin/Memorial Team and/or clients in order to assist with the placing and upkeep of memorials.
- Regularly clear items from memorials left by the public.
- Carry out maintenance and care of plants in the Chapel and waiting area.
- Assist with the construction of memorials.
- Maintain and clean the memorial areas, boulder stones, seats, garden furniture and equipment.
- Ensure that the car parks, entrances and forecourts of the crematorium are clear and tidy prior to each days’ services including carrying out a daily litter patrol to ensure excellent presentation of the crematorium.
- Remain fully conversant and compliant with the company’s Health and Safety policy.
- The role may include covering cremation duties when required, so the candidate must be comfortable with working in a crematorium environment. Potential candidates are welcome to talk to one of our team members to find out more about what this involves and/or to visit our site for a tour.
Required Key Skills & Competencies
- An up to date tetanus vaccine.
- Ability to carry out a physically demanding job, involving lifting heavy objects and remaining on your feet for long periods of time in various weather conditions.
- Knowledge of plants and gardening techniques.
- Pro-actively seeks to obtain the information required to do the job. Passes on accurate and timely information including reporting necessary repairs or needing tools and / or equipment.
- Remains positive and proactive at all times.
- A helpful and supportive team member.
- Anticipates and responds to the needs of the Company and its customers, looking for and using opportunities to exceed customer expectations.
- Demonstrates excellent timekeeping and attendance.
- At all times behaves, dresses and acts in a manner befitting the position held and the nature of the company’s business, including demonstrating compassion and patience with mourners.
- Takes ownership of their own Training and Development and partakes in any training deemed necessary by the line manager or management.
- Supports the training and development of apprentices, work experience students and new staff when required.
Desirable Skills & Competencies
- Trained, experienced and certified to use a ride on lawn mower, tractor, Golf Buggy, Pesticides, Forward Tipping Dumper, 360 Excavator Digger, hand lawn mower, hedge strimmer, powered hand tools and other horticultural machinery safely and professionally.
Candidates who are not certified in the above will need to undertake and pass training in these areas, this will be organised by the company.
- A competitive base salary
- 25 days’ holiday
- A day off for your birthday!
- Life Insurance
- Income Protection Insurance
- Wellness Programmes
The LCC is committed to equality and diversity. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements then please provide details in your covering letter.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
You must sign in to apply for this position.