Gardener and Vineyard Assistant
Gardener and Vineyard Assistant required
This is a great opportunity to join a small, friendly team managing the gardens, estate and vineyard at an historic manor house in Surrey.
We are looking for someone who is keen to gain practical experience undertaking a broad range of general garden, estate and vineyard tasks including working with a variety of machinery. The ideal applicant would be adaptable, organised, with a positive, hard-working attitude who wants to acquire new skills and broaden their horticultural knowledge. The estate comprises extensive formal and informal gardens, large paddocks, woodland, a seven acre vineyard producing sparkling and still wines and is the venue for several well-established charity events during the summer.
In the garden and estate the main tasks you will be expected to undertake initially will be:
- Lawn mowing using pedestrian mowers
- Mowing adjacent fields using a ride-on mower
- Strimming paths and banks and outlying areas, keeping paths swept and raking over the gravel drive as necessary
- Leaf blowing and collection
- Helping to manage the ponds by removing weed and algae
- Assisting in the programme of lawn care including scarifying and aerating
- Helping to manage the small herd of Alpaca
- Repairing fencing as necessary
- Various planting tasks (inc. mature shrubs and trees)
In the vineyard you will assist with:
- Mowing rows and headlands and general strimming
- Tucking in and training new shoots
- General leaf canopy and fruit management through the season as necessary
- Harvesting and transportation of grapes to the winery
In-house training will be provided in the use of machinery as appropriate : tractor driving with flail mower, zero-turn ride-on mower, pedestrian mowers, use of strimmers, hedge cutters and leaf blower.
External training and certification will be provided for the use of the tractor-towed mist sprayer in the vineyard ( PA1 + PA3). Additionally, training can be provided for chainsaw certification ( ground based only).
We would welcome applicants who are able to start immediately but we are happy to be flexible if notice is required.
Please send a covering letter with your CV.
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
You must sign in to apply for this position.