Assistant Head Gardener
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our small and enthusiastic team of gardeners on a country Estate near Marlborough in Wiltshire. As Assistant Head Gardener you will work alongside the Head Gardener and other members of the Estates team ensuring that the grounds of the Estate are maintained to the highest standard.
The 700 acre Estate includes woodlands, lakes, parks, walled garden, greenhouses and orangery. The walled garden is currently under construction, following a design by a leading garden designer. In phases, we are restoring and redeveloping the Estate with plans to open to the public. The key feature of the garden is a two-acre walled garden which is split by a central avenue into four quadrants, each having its own purpose and design. A large percentage of the garden will be annuals and produce, so some experience in production gardening would be ideal but not essential.
We are looking for an Assistant Head Gardener who has worked to a high horticultural standard with good knowledge of plants and maintenance requirements of gardens and grounds. Experience of supervising a team is essential – leading by example and supporting the team’s training and development.
This position is full time with normal working hours from 8.00 am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Additional weekend hours will be required for watering of the greenhouse and orangery, as per rota scheduled 3 months at a time. Use of machinery will be required and possession of pesticide/chainsaw certificates is preferred, although training can be provided. The role is physically demanding and requires good health and fitness levels.
- To report to and support the Head Gardener on a day-to-day basis and deputies for the Head Gardener in absence and report to the Estate Manager as required.
- To ensure good working relationship with garden team and other departments.
- Supervise other members of the garden team.
- Assist the Head Gardener with the day-to-day management of the team including organising work, tasks, and duties.
- To assist with training and development of staff within the Garden Team.
- To be responsible for agreed areas of the grounds which include Orangery and Greenhouse.
- To assist in the development and improvements of the Estate.
Health & Safety
- Supervise safe working practice within the team.
- Assist in keeping all the departmental Health and Safety records up to date.
- To work in a safe and clean manner to maintain the highest levels of hygiene and cleanliness within the Estate.
- To report breakages and accidents to the Head Gardener.
- Ensure all PPE is being used correctly.
- Ensure all equipment is fit for purpose.
- Full clean driving license
- 3 years’ experience within the horticulture sector preferred but not essential.
- Level 2 RHS or equivalent
Please note, the successful candidate will need to provide references and will be asked to do a DBS check, which the company will organise and pay for. Candidate will also be required to provide evidence of qualifications.
For more gardener roles please click here
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
You must sign in to apply for this position.