Assistant Gardener required
Are you an enthusiastic gardener with a passion for plants, gardens, and horticulture?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for an enthusiastic and energetic gardener to join our small and friendly team and assist us on our journey to develop the grounds of this private country estate near Ripley, Surrey. As an Assistant Gardener you will work closely with our Head Gardener on the development and maintenance of the garden and accompanying grounds.
The ideal applicant will possess previous professional experience in hands-on gardening and would preferably hold relevant qualifications. A sound knowledge of plants together with good all-round practical skills in gardening is a must. As the Assistant Gardener you will work under the guidance and supervision of our Head Gardener and will be required to work efficiently on your own, when required.
The successful candidate will be required to work a 39-hour week, Monday to Friday with the eventual possibility of live-in accommodation. Three years’ contactable references must be given, and own transport as well as a clean driving licence will be required. Non-smoker please.
As assistant gardener duties will include, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Maintenance and development of beds and borders
- Planting of new perennials, bulbs, and any shrubs
- Weeding, mulching, and digging over of beds
- Tidying beds and containers situated around the Main House
- Maintaining and training climbers and wall shrubs
- Cutting back perennials
- Propagation of planting stock of all types of plants
- Irrigation of glasshouses and borders
- Pruning and training shrubs and young trees in particular the apple trees in the walled garden
- Vegetable and fruit growing.
- General leaf blowing in the autumn
- Maintenance of hedges and paths
- Maintenance of lawn including feeding and scarifying
- Ensuring the gardeners’ buildings and surrounding areas are kept tidy and safe
- Occasional assistance with other Estate duties such as fallen trees, fence maintenance etc.
Circa £22,000 to £25,000 pa. Negotiable and subject to qualifications and experience.
Statutory Holiday including Bank Holidays
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
Workplace Pension Scheme
This private advert is being managed directly by the employer. English Country Gardeners are not involved in the hiring process and are therefore unable to share any additional information on this role. If you have any questions regarding this position, the best course of action is to apply for the job which will open a line of communication with the employer.
You must sign in to apply for this position.