Sole Gardener required
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced, enthusiastic, creative and committed sole gardener with great plant knowledge to maintain, improve and further enhance an English country garden situated 10 miles south of Grantham.
The 8-acre garden comprises of formal lawns, rose garden, herbaceous borders and woodland, walled garden with fruit trees, vegetables and fruit cage. This mature garden contains extensive hedges of yew, beech and box.
The successful candidate will have a hands-on role in the daily care and an opportunity to continue the development of the garden, having a great understanding of plants and horticulture. He/She will be someone who is passionate and takes pride in their work and will maintain the garden to a high horticultural standard. Will need to be self-motivated, organised, able to plan and prioritise workload working closely with the owners. With the ability to work in a small team as well as alone.
- Maintenance of the gardens
- Weeding, deadheading, trimming, cut flowers and plants for the house
- Care and management of plants, shrubs, lawns hedges and trees
- Develop new projects when required
- Maintenance of the kitchen garden
- Maintaining the woodland garden
- Garden machinery maintenance
- Management/organisation of small team
- Budget responsibility and keeping accurate paperwork
- Clear understanding and working within Health and Safety regulations
Applicants must have:
- Minimum Level 3 horticultural qualification or similar
- Spray certificates (PA1 and PA6)
- Chainsaw certificate an advantage
- Positive, enthusiastic and hardworking
- Excellent plant knowledge coupled together with technical skills, experience of thinning/renovating mature shrubs and pest and disease knowledge would be ideal
- Need to be able to communicate well with visiting contractors and the other members of the team supervising where necessary
- Full driving licence is essential
- A cleared DBS check will be required
- First Aid Qualification would be a benefit
- Salary c. £25,000 DOE
- 3 bedroom cottage within the garden
- Council Tax (utilities paid for by the employee)
- Assistance with re-location
- 28 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- 40 hours per week (occasionally weekend and Bank Holiday work but time off in-lieu)
- Training as required
You must sign in to apply for this position.