Estate Gardener and Caretaker
Estate Gardener and Caretaker required
An experienced multi-skilled live-in estate gardener is required to maintain and develop a 3.5 acres private garden and to carry general maintenance of a beautiful property located 25 kms from Aix en Provence, within minutes of the Luberon National Park and in close proximity to the Mediterranean and to all tourist sites in Provence.
Applications are sought from qualified professionals with experience of managing private estate gardens autonomously, to a high standard. The garden comprises lawns, formal and mixed herbaceous beds/borders, shrubberies, fruit trees, box topiary, roses, hedges, mature specimen trees. Applicants should have experience with all relevant aspects of gardening as well as an ability and willingness to carry out other estate duties linked to the maintenance and improvement of the property as they arise.
The property maintenance activity includes varied handyman jobs, cleaning of galleys and drains and operation of the swimming pool during 4 months of the year. The property is let on a weekly basis during part of the summer season and the Caretaker will welcome guests, and explain the operation of the property and grounds.
The Position has a high level of autonomy and responsibility and will be expected to plan and undertake the maintenance work of the garden and property, care of machinery and tools, organising and carrying out improvement projects.
Skills and Experience
- Proven record of garden management and gardening experience including propagation of plants, control of pests and insects
- Understanding of tree safety and ability to interface with tree specialists
- Ability to work with irrigation system, to maintain and expand as required
- Experience in using and maintaining a range of garden machinery
- Ability to operate earth-moving equipment
- General building and DIY skills
- Self-motivated and driven with good organisational abilities and a strong sense of initiative
- Good communication skills, confident in dealing with customers
- Able to receive and liaise with tradesmen and suppliers
- Full and clean driving license
- Basic knowledge of French is a plus.
Terms and Conditions
- 35 hour week Monday- Friday as standard with occasional weekend work when required for seasonal work and reception of customers
- 25 days holidays per year on basis of 6-days’week, plus public holidays
- Gross salary € 24,000
- Availability of lodge on the property comprising, bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen, storage, terrace, small garden; utilities provided
- State pension
- Availability of a car for work-related errands
- For a couple, possibility of housekeeping duties for spouse to be discussed
Please send CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com
Interviews of short-listed candidates in London by mid-December
You must sign in to apply for this position.